Monday, June 18, 2012

Locally popular sweets, Butter Mochi

Have you ever heard of "Butter Mochi"? It has a long history as local sweets in Kita-akita City, Akita. But I had never heard of it until recently, although I've lived here for more than 20 years... I think this is because the sweets originate in the very northern region of Akita which is far away from my hometown in the southernmost town.
There days, "Butter Mochi" was widely introduced on TV and gained its popularity in the nation.

"Butter Mochi" is a rice cake made of butter and other ingredients like rice, sugar, etc. In the old days, Matagi hunters in the northern region of Akita used to go hunting with this rice cake. Today, it has become local sweets of the region. It is featuring soft texture and is slightly sweet. Each family has individual tastes of this traditional sweets.

Nowadays, many stores make them with their own recipe, so they tastes a little bit different. My favorite "Butter Mochi" is the one as above photo that is made by Sen-ei-do confectionery store in my hometown, Ugo town. I love it!

When you visit Akita, please try it and find your best one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment