Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Nishimonai Bon Odori, the summer festival in Ugo!

My hometown, Ugo-machi, is well known for the traditional summer festival, "Nishimonai Bon Odori (Dance)", which is a significant, intangible folk cultural asset of Japan. It attracts many people every summer (16-18 August)!!


Because there is no written material about this festival, we can't tell exactly when it was started. But, a legend tells us that its origin dates back to 1280s when an old priest started this Bon Dance with villagers to pray for a good harvest. Then, it came to have another meaning as to mourn the lord's passing after being defeated in a battle. And today's Nishimonai Bon Odori was born at last.
You can learn more from here! -> http://www.town.ugo.lg.jp/sightseeing/detail.html?id=340



Last weekend, I went to see this old dance with my family and my boyfriend. It has been almost a decade since I saw it last time, so I was really excited to experience the atmosphere again! :)

As you can find, there are two different types of clothes and hats of the dancers. One is a set of colorful Kimono (traditional clothes) and woven hat. This colorful Kimono is called "Hanui" that is made of pieces of different clothes to make it colorful. I heard villagers in the old days were not rich, so they made such nicer clothes by collecting pieces of fabrics and created a new beautiful one by themselves. By the way, my mother is Hanui-maker and sews them by her hand before the festival. I can see the real Hanui from up close at home!

Different from Hanui, the other dancers wear darker clothes and black hood, or "Hikosa Zukin". They represent the dead people as far as I know... The origin is unknown yet.

Once you experience this event, I think you'll feel something different. And also, you can enjoy more if you understand Akita-accent of the lyrics because the classic songs during the dance includes local joke. :D That's funny!
I hope you will enjoy such a unique festival in my hometown next year! Welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment